Student Assignment Phone Number

On By In 1

Getting Started

What is student assignment?

JCPS offers a student-assignment system that meets the unique needs of our community. The system lets you apply to various schools based on your home address.

How to Explore JCPS School Choice Options

The district offers a variety of options to meet students' individual needs. We are proud that each school and program has unique strengths and that each is designed for particular interests and talents. Many parents consider several different factors in choosing a school. They make decisions based on the family’s needs and what they feel is a good fit for their child.

Be sure to explore your school choice options to determine which is the best fit for your family.

Ways to Explore JCPS Schools

Get Involved in School Choice

JCPS annually offers an application period in which students can apply to schools and magnet and optional programs for the next school year:

  • The elementary, middle, and high school application period for the 2018-19 school year begins on October 30, 2017, and ends on December 15, 2017. Apply here.

Applications are not processed on a first-come, first-served basis. They all are processed at the same time at the end of the periods. Applications submitted after the deadline will be processed based on building capacity and admission criteria (if required for optional and magnet programs). 

Parent Assistance Center

The JCPS Parent Assistance Center works with families to help students apply to schools and to resolve student-assignment issues. Call the center at (502) 485-6250 if you have questions about any of the following:

  • The school that serves your child’s home address
  • Kindergarten registration
  • Magnet schools and programs
  • Optional programs
  • Student transfers
  • Elementary school clusters

Relocation Services

JCPS works to ensure that families who are moving into Jefferson County have information on what school choice options are available and the registration and application process. Please contact the Parent Assistance Center at (502) 485-6250 for more information.   

Student Assignment Advisory Review Committee Meeting 10/26/17

Welcome to Gaston County Schools and the Student Assignment webpage.  


Our office is a part of the Student Support Services Department.  The goal of the Student Assignment Office is to develop a relationship with students and parents from the beginning of the enrollment process. Our staff creates a welcoming environment for families who are new to our community as well as families whose students have extenuating circumstances or special needs.

Student Assignment

Our office staff is pleased to serve parents wishing to enroll their child in Gaston County Schools. To enroll a student, you must be the biological parent or court-ordered guardian. You must also bring:

  • Student birth certificate and, if applicable, the court order
  • Immunization/shot records
  • Parent/legal guardian's valid photo ID (driver license, state identification, passport, or military ID)
  • Withdrawal from previous school (middle and high school)
  • TWO (2) proofs of your address to verify residence (power, gas, water, cable, landline telephone, lease or mortgage bill; must be current bill issued within 30 days).

* If the parents(s) or court-ordered guardian reside with another person who is the homeowner/lessee, you will need to meet together (the parent and the homeowner) with the Student Assignment Office staff to complete a Residency Affidavit document. The homeowner/lessee will need to provide two proofs of address.

A student enrolling in the sixth grade or higher who does not currently attend a Gaston County school will need to come to the Student Assignment Office to complete a Discipline Status Document.

Students in Group Homes and Foster Homes

It is our pleasure to serve students living in foster homes and group homes. The legal guardian and the foster parent or group home representative must be present during the registration process. The following documentation is needed for initial enrollment and for changing school assignment:

  • Guardianship/parental placement form
  • Person Centered Plan
  • Individualized Education Plan
  • Previous school withdrawal and transcript
  • Discipline information
  • Special needs information


Transfers for the 2018-2019 upcoming school year are open for request from April 1 until May 15. Families will receive notification letters immediately following. No late applications will be accepted.

An intra-district transfer is when parents/guardians wish to register or enroll their student(s) at a school other than the designated school in their attendance area within their district.

Foreign Exchange Programs

All foreign exchange programs in Gaston County Schools must have prior approval from the Student Assignment Office to enroll in our school system. Placement in schools with host families must occur by July 15 for the student to be cleared for enrollment. Schools will have no more than two foreign exchange students each year. The application for enrollment can be found in our policy.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *