Starting Sentence Option 1: Stem cell research has been around for years, but it has always been controversial. This type of research is [dangerous/invaluable] to mankind, because [reasons]. [thesis statement.
Starting Sentence Option 2: Helping people walk again and recover from deadly diseases sounds like a miracle, but is it worth the cost? The answer is [yes/no]. That’s because [thesis].
- Stem cell research has done amazing things and it is still only in the beginning stages.
- If scientists can perfect the use of stem cells, even those with paralysis and horrible diseases will be cured.
- We owe it to mankind to take reasonable measures to find ways to extend life and improve the quality of life.
- Improving lives outside of the womb is what we need to focus on.
- Since stem cell research often uses embryos and must destroy them, it is a science based on murder.
- Even if stem cell research goes forward, it will only be available to the rich and elite, leaving the poor to die painfully.
- The entire concept of stem cell research pits life before birth against life after birth.
- This type of science is messing with nature and that is never a good idea.
Stem Cell Research
National Institutes of Health
Second Claim Paragraph
Another reason abortion [should/should not] be legal is [that/the fact that] [provide your second claim for or against the legality of abortion.]
Another reason abortion [is/is not] [moral/ethical] is [that/the fact that] [provide your second claim about the moral or ethical status of abortion.]
- Abortion is a fundamental right guaranteed by the constitution (Roe vs. Wade)
- Abortion is a women's right to make decisions about her own body
- Abortion is not painful to the fetus
- Abortion, when legal, is safer
- Abortion can be a good financial decision
- Abortion is wrong because it is equivalent to the murder of a human being
- Life begins at conception, so fetuses have human rights
- Abortion is painful to the fetus
- Abortions can cause psychological trauma
- Abortion can cause major medical problems for the mother