Good Topics for Economic Research Papers: Current Problems You Can Analyze
Selecting a topic for a research paper often proves harder than writing the paper itself. Economics is a vast and interesting subject. Almost everything under the sun falls under its domain. A fact not much appreciated by other related and unrelated fields. Selecting a topic for a research paper in economics is as hard as it is easy! You can select from a myriad of intriguing areas and categories. You can take your pick from writing a research paper on a historical analysis of economic systems to the future of world economy. Yet, the most interesting discussions are those that are current and relevant.
Here is a compilation of hot and current offerings from the subject of economics:
- Do the benefits of college still outweigh the costs?
- Poverty, income and wealth distribution: Are our resources scarce in relation to our needs?
- Is scarcity real? What does it imply: Trade-offs or redistribution of wealth?
- Has “market force” lead to good outcomes? Market versus non-market systems.
- Has the 2008 collapse of economy passed? An analysis of pre and post 2008 market
- The best decisions are made on Marginal Analysis. True or false
- Health care and the role of Prices
- Is environmental pollution a failure of “Market”?
- Should there be a limit to the ownership of private property?
- Are banks necessary?
- Welfare reforms: An analysis of issues
- The impact of government spending on economic growth
- The concept of “Minimum Wage” How is it decided? How it SHOULD be decided?
- Economics of poverty
- World Food Crisis: Is the world short of food, or short of “markets”?
- Is poverty inevitable?
- Hegemony: What it means, what are the causes?
- Trickle Down effect: Where is it seen?
- Was Marx right
- Can huge charities solve any problem?
- Economics of disease and death
- Economics of pharmaceutical industry
- Is the crisis of “access capacity” solvable?
- Why is the world economy sliding down despite Quantitative easing?
- Are Keynesian policies a more viable method to deal with the current economic crisis?
These are just a few of hundreds of intriguing current topics that can be used for your research paper. The best topic will always be the one that is interesting for you, as your enthusiasm and involvement with it will seep through to your reader.
Microeconomics Paper Topics
Finding the right topic to write a paper on is one of the most important stages of the writing process. Choose the right one, and you will make life so much easier for yourself; choose the wrong one, and it’ll be three times as hard to write it.
That’s why it is crucial to invest sufficient time in selecting the right topic. The time you spend doing it will pay back in the time and effort saved during the actual writing.
In this blog post, we have compiled a list of possible topics you could choose to write a paper in microeconomics. Some are rather narrow, others are broader. The common thing is that they will not pose any additional difficulties in writing and there are plenty of sources to get information from.
Key areas of research
As a more developed science than macroeconomics, microeconomics studies the economic tendencies, predicts what will happen when individuals make certain buying decisions, and how it will impact the distribution of resources. At that microeconomics doesn’t explain what should happen on the market, but only what to expect when certain conditions change.
The study of microeconomics includes the following key areas that one can focus on when writing a paper:
- Demand, supply, and their balance
- Elasticity – the ratio of responsiveness of one variable to the change of another variable
- Consumer demand theory – the way consumers can find a balance between purchasing needs and costs
- The theory of production – the study of how inputs are converted into outputs
- Costs of production
- Perfect competition
- Monopoly – the existence of a single supplier for a particular commodity
- Oligopoly – a form of market in which it is dominated by a small number of sellers
- Market structure and market systems
- Game theory
- Labor economics
- Welfare economics
- Economics of information
- Opportunity cost
Examples of more specific topics you can use for your paper
Supply and demand:
- How supply and demand affect pricing
- How supply and demand are affected by the labor market
- Distinct types of market structures and their effect on supply
Nature and ecology:
- The impact of seasonal fluctuations on the economy
- Demand and supply for clean energy
- How natural conditions affect the economy
- The influence of ecology on the choice of industry location
- The profitability of changing the location to one with better ecology
- The correlation between modern ecological problems and the economy
- How companies treat ecology under market and planned economies
- Assimilation potential of a certain area
- Fighting pollution and its microeconomic impact
- Decreasing environmental influences of a small business
- The characteristics of private health care centers
- The correlation between healthcare profits and taxation
Business, SMB, and manufacturing
- The difficulties of starting a business in the current market conditions
- Diminishing returns
- Improving profitability of a small store
- How local manufacturing affects the society
- Purchasing local produce and its effect on the economy
- Elements of a successful business
- Creating a positive work place and its importance for a successful business
- How can a small business survive an economic crisis?
- The competition between small and big companies
- A case study of a company that was forced to shut down
- The longevity of companies in the ever-changing market
- Local customer trends
- The benefits of a no-sale policy
- The effects of a recession on a certain industry
- How to expand a business without losses or risks
- What makes a strong leader in business
- Preventing bankruptcy of a small business
- The benefits and future of crowdfunding
Social media, PR, and advertising
- The effect of advertising on purchasing decisions
- The odds of success when living through a quality-related scandal
- The role of social media marketing in stimulating supply
Goods, pricing and purchasing power
- The effect of the purchasing ability of consumers on the pricing system
- A Veblen good – the product purchased for the pride of owning it in addition to its value
- Manipulation of the prices for oil and gas by cartels
- Prices versus salary – will the raise of the minimum wages affect prices?
These are but a few ideas of microeconomic paper topics, which means this list is far from complete. We encourage you to look for other ideas that will help your paper stand out.
Ask a question